Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dalessandro’s Steaks and Hoagies Review

Dalessandro’s Steaks and Hoagies Review (Follow up to Chubby's)

As mentioned in my prior article today, I have recently eaten at 2 major cheese steak joints in the Roxborough area of Philadelphia. These two places are directly across the street from each other similar to Pat’s and Geno’s Steaks. I will now review Dalessandro’s Steaks and Hoagies as a follow up to Chubby’s Cheese Steaks.

DAlessandro’s Steaks and Hoagies was established in 1960 and is located at 600 Wendover Street, Philadelphia, PA 19128 (at Henry and Walnut Lane). They are a must if you are interested in trying the best Philly cheese steaks. Dalessandro’s is the best cheese steak place in Roxborough/Manayunk at minimum and debatably the city. They have a specialness to them that makes them unique. First, you can order gourmet sodas and domestic and imported beers at their small “sit down inside” shop. The uniqueness of this place is also found on the counter where you eat. There is a long chain of various peppers from mild to really hot hot peppers that you can sample for free with your cheese steak. This is very different for a cheese steak shop.

I ordered Dalessandro’s Philly cheese steak with provolone cheese (I wanted to mix things up compared to my usual American cheese). The cheese steak is very cheap at $5.94 for a foot long sandwich. They packed the rolls with the chopped rib eye steak that they use making sure that you get your money’s worth. The provolone cheese was mixed well with the steak. I am not such a big provolone fan but I wanted it today.

The soft Italian rolls were perfect. They had the right soft texture that is ideal for this type of sandwich. Their onions were slightly cooked and were mixed in with the steak and cheese. I had a few peppers with their cheese steak to complement the meal.

I am really impressed with Dallesandros and think that they may be considered an elite group from the best of the best. Their place is very small but the staff was very friendly and they run their business very professionally. Also, Dallesandro’s has received numerous awards throughout the years from many different sources.

Dalessandro’s is definitely better than their competition across the street, Chubby’s. Not only have they been around much longer but their total package is much better. A cheaper, bigger, tastier sandwich. Allessandro’s, welcome aboard the Best Philly Cheese Steaks and I am sure our readers will be hearing more about you in the future!

Dalessandro's Steaks on Urbanspoon

7 comments:

  1. I wold walk a mile on my knee's through the snow for a Delessandro's cheesesteak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bar none, the best I've had. I'm glad I used to work close to this place -- GREAT for lunch (if you're willing to sleep through the rest of your day)! I want a cheesesteak so bad, now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmm, you may have screwed up getting the provolone - the sharp american cheese they use at Dallesandro's is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try Rays cheesesteaks in Lansdale ,one of the best I have had.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Roxborough all my life and can tell you with confidence that Dalessandro's steak sandwich is far bettwe than Pats and Geno's. I have lived in the south for the last 10 years and their is no place to get this seak sandwich. First thing I do when I return for a visit is get a steak sandwich. The hell with the diet. It's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you like a soggy mess Delessandro's is the place for you. If you want a good steak sandwich in Roxborough go to Barry's. heck even Chubby's is better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Barry's was the worst steak I ever had , the place is always empty

    ReplyDelete